Uganda has suspended all flights to and from the Democratic Republic of the Congo following the confirmation of two imported cases of Ebola Virus Disease, as government intensifies measures to prevent further spread of the deadly virus.
The announcement was made Thursday by Diana Atwine during a media briefing at the Uganda Media Centre.
Dr. Atwine said the outbreak involves the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, which currently has no approved vaccine or specific treatment and carries a fatality rate of about 50 percent.
According to the Ministry of Health, the confirmed cases involved Congolese nationals who entered Uganda after exposure to the virus in the DRC. One patient has since died while the second remains under medical care and is steadily recovering.
“The patient was tested on Monday, 18th May 2026, and the results were negative for EVD. The second repeat test was conducted on Wednesday, 20th May 2026 and was still negative,” Atwine said, adding that the patient is currently receiving treatment for other existing medical conditions.
Health authorities said 127 contacts linked to the confirmed cases have already been identified and placed under institutional quarantine as part of ongoing surveillance and containment efforts.
Government warned that Uganda remains at high risk of additional imported Ebola cases due to extensive cross-border trade, movement of people for economic activities, and direct transport connections with eastern DRC.
“Given Uganda’s proximity to the epicentre and strong cross-border linkages, including trade, movement for economic activity, and direct flights, the risk of further importations remains high,” Atwine noted.
The Ministry of Health identified several districts as high-risk areas, including Kasese, Bundibugyo, Ntoroko, Kisoro, Kikuube, Hoima, Kampala, Wakiso, Arua, Koboko, Yumbe, and Kanungu.
In addition to suspending flights, government also halted cross-border passenger transport and ferry services on the Semliki River for four weeks. Weekly border markets and cultural gatherings along the Uganda-DRC border have also been suspended temporarily, although cargo and food transportation will continue.
Authorities further directed enhanced border patrols, intensified screening and testing at entry points, and strict enforcement of Ebola prevention measures in schools, hotels, markets, places of worship, and prisons.
The Ministry clarified that schools will reopen as scheduled but urged administrators to strictly observe all public health guidelines.
Uganda has previously experienced multiple Ebola outbreaks and is considered one of the region’s most experienced countries in epidemic response and disease surveillance.
Officials urged the public to remain vigilant and immediately report any suspected Ebola symptoms to nearby health facilities as containment measures continue.

